Calling All Millennials
by Brandon Roysden
If you feel like everyone is pretending to be an expert at speaking to you, reaching you, marketing to you, and motivating you, but they actually have no idea, you are probably a Millennial, and WE WANT YOU!
According to Wikipedia, researchers and commentators have stretched the birth years of Millennials from the early 1980s to the early 2000s. As we worked through what a leadership network may look like, we realized that there are a significant number of people in this age range who are interested in leadership. Perhaps they are already moving into leadership of some kind or would if they were asked. Perhaps they are a reluctant leader who wants to do something valuable but doesn’t really know where to begin or what to do. Either way, don’t be intimidated by the idea of leadership as something only for old guys in suits (we want those guys too, btw).
At some point in time, every generation is the future, and it just so happens that at this point in time, Millennials seem to be the group that everyone is running toward asking what we can do to get you motivated and involved. So I’m just going to try asking. I don’t think it’s really a super creative strategy. But I just happen to believe that there are enough of you out there who actually care and simply want to be asked to be involved, that I’m just going to ask:
ENGAGE is a community of current or future leaders within the Free Will Baptist denomination who want to learn and connect for the purpose of seeing God’s kingdom come here on earth. Will you be a part of this community?
You may be wandering what exactly that means, and I must confess that we’re going to be figuring some of that out as we go along. But I can share with you a couple of easy connection points and ideas of how we can start:
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates and new initiatives.
- Read What is ENGAGE? to understand exactly what we’re trying to do.
- Show up at events like the NAFWB National Convention or your local church meetings.
- Contribute. If you have something to say, be sure to comment or even submit a post of your own.
- Find someone older and someone younger than you and start meeting/talking with them regularly about life and leadership.
- Commit to being a part of the community. We won’t be perfect, and we won’t always have what you’re looking for, but commit to being a contributing member of something bigger than yourself.
This is just the beginning. Only God knows what can happen through the ENGAGE Leadership Network, but we hope you’ll come along for the ride.
Oh, and if the whole “just ask” thing doesn’t work, let me know that I’m out of touch and help me figure out how I’m supposed to talk with Millennials these days.